History of WCEO

Ohio was admitted to the Union in 1803—and one of the original offices created by the first General Assembly was that of county surveyor, from which the county engineer’s office has evolved. When a new county was created, the Legislature appointed a Court of Common Pleas. The court appointed the county surveyor.

Around 1820, the state became increasingly caught up in the “internal improvements” movement. Some of the county surveyors were involved with building Ohio’s network of canals, and virtually all were called upon to spend more and more time developing the state’s integrated system of good roads. The increasing responsibilities of the position moved the Legislature, in 1831, to make the office of county surveyor elective, for a term of three years.

By late in the 19th Century the county surveyor was almost totally involved with building and maintaining roads, bridges, and drainage ditches. Legislation in 1915 established a salary and the responsibility of also being resident engineer for the State Highway Department.

The year 1928 saw the county engineer emerging as the public official you know today. In that year he was elected to a four (4) year term and on August 30, 1935, the title of the office was changed to “County Engineer”.

Only persons who hold registration certificates of the state of Ohio as both “Registered Professional Engineers” and “Registered Professional Surveyors” may qualify for the office of County Engineer. The elected County Engineer “shall perform for the county all duties authorized or declared by law to be done by a civil engineer or surveyor”. Although specifically exempted from engineering responsibilities on public buildings, he is the engineer for all public improvements under the authority of the board of commissioners within and for the county.

Our County’s Engineer – Past and Present


Neil F. Tunison, P.E., P.S.
1997 - Present

Craig R. Pendleton, P.E., P.S.
1975 - 1997

Stanley H. Markey, P.E., P.S.
1964 - 1975

Leroy F. Wertz, P.E., P.S.
1948 - 1964

Herschel G. Stiles
1947 - 1948

Charles L. Guard Jr, P.E., P.S.
1946 - 1947

Harold E. Senf, P.E., P.S.
1945 - 1946

Sam D. Henkle, P.E., P.S.
1934 - 1945

County Surveyors

John S. Van Horn
1932-1934
P.O. Monfort
1925-1932
Earl J. Spencer
1920-1925
Roy F. Miller
1914-1920
Sam D. Henkle
1906-1914
Walter Henkle
1903-1906
P.O. Monfort
1891-1903
Frank A. Bone
1878-1891
A.F. Hinsch
1872-1878
Joel Evans
1866-1872
Eli Kirk
1863-1866
A.F. Hinsch
1860-1863
Isaac Peacock
1856-1860
L.S. Hatton
1850-1856
Enoch Hammell
1847-1850
Emmor Bailey
1841-1847
Israel Woodruff
1838-1841
Emmor Bailey
1835-1838
Thomas Clayton
1828-1835
Israel Woodruff
1823-1828
Allen Wright
1803-1823