History of WCEO

Ohio was admitted to the Union in 1803—and one of the original offices created by the first General Assembly was that of county surveyor, from which the county engineer’s office has evolved. When a new county was created, the Legislature appointed a Court of Common Pleas. The court appointed the county surveyor.

Around 1820, the state became increasingly caught up in the “internal improvements” movement. Some of the county surveyors were involved with building Ohio’s network of canals, and virtually all were called upon to spend more and more time developing the state’s integrated system of good roads. The increasing responsibilities of the position moved the Legislature, in 1831, to make the office of county surveyor elective, for a term of three years.

By late in the 19th Century the county surveyor was almost totally involved with building and maintaining roads, bridges, and drainage ditches. Legislation in 1915 established a salary and the responsibility of also being resident engineer for the State Highway Department.

The year 1928 saw the county engineer emerging as the public official you know today. In that year he was elected to a four (4) year term and on August 30, 1935, the title of the office was changed to “County Engineer”.

Only persons who hold registration certificates of the state of Ohio as both “Registered Professional Engineers” and “Registered Professional Surveyors” may qualify for the office of County Engineer. The elected County Engineer “shall perform for the county all duties authorized or declared by law to be done by a civil engineer or surveyor”. Although specifically exempted from engineering responsibilities on public buildings, he is the engineer for all public improvements under the authority of the board of commissioners within and for the county.



Our County’s Engineer – Past and Present


Neil F. Tunison, P.E., P.S.
1997 - Present


Leroy F. Wertz, P.E., P.S.
1948 - 1964


Harold E. Senf, P.E., P.S.
1945 - 1946

Craig R. Pendleton, P.E., P.S.
1975 - 1997


Herschel G. Stiles
1947 - 1948


Sam D. Henkle, P.E., P.S.
1934 - 1945

Stanley H. Markey, P.E., P.S.
1964 - 1975 


Charles L. Guard Jr, P.E., P.S.
1946 - 1947



County Surveyors


John S. Van Horn
1932-1934

Roy F. Miller
1914-1920

P.O. Monfort
1891-1903

Joel Evans
1866-1872

Isaac Peacock
1856-1860

Emmor Bailey
1841-1847

Thomas Clayton
1828-1835

P.O. Monfort
1925-1932

Sam D. Henkle
1906-1914

Frank A. Bone
1878-1891

Eli Kirk
1863-1866

L.S. Hatton
1850-1856

Israel Woodruff
1838-1841

Israel Woodruff
1823-1828

Earl J. Spencer
1920-1925

Walter Henkle
1903-1906

A.F. Hinsch
1872-1878

A.F. Hinsch
1860-1863

Enoch Hammell
1847-1850

Emmor Bailey
1835-1838

Allen Wright
1803-1823

Home | Contact | Disclaimer

©  Warren County Engineer's Office (WCEO)

ADMINISTRATION and ENGINEERING
210 W Main Street, Lebanon, Ohio 45036
Tel: (513) 695-3301 | Fax: (513) 695-7714

HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE, PERMITS, and INSPECTION
105 Markey Rd, Lebanon, Ohio 45036
Tel: (513) 695-3336 | Fax: (513) 695-3323